Joaquim Garrabou Vancells is the group’s coordinator. In 2008, he joined the ICM as researcher for the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC). Prior to this, he was a researcher at the Centre d’Oceanologie de Marseille, which is associated with the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS). He is applying a multidisciplinary approach to the study of global change effects in the NW Mediterranean. More particulary he is studying the effects of mass mortality events on gorgonian species and their possible association with the current warming. The ultimate objective of his research is to contribute to the conservation of Mediterranean biodiversity.
- Ledoux JB, Aurelle D, Bensoussan N, Marschal C, Féral JP, Garrabou J, (2015) Potential for adaptive evolution at species range margins: contrasting interactions between red coral populations and their environment in a changing ocean. Ecology and Evolution, 5, 1178-1192.
- Sini M, Kipson S, Linares C, Koutsoubas D, Garrabou J (2015) The yellow gorgonian Eunicella cavolini: demography and disturbance levels across the Mediterranean Sea.PLoS One 10(5):e0126253
Montero-Serra I, Linares C, García M, Pancaldi F, Frleta-Valić M, Ledoux JB, Zuberer F, Merad D, Drap P, Garrabou J. (2015) Harvesting effects, recovery mechanisms and management strategies for a long-lived and structural precious coral. PLoS ONE 10(2): e0117250. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone. 0117250
Arizmendi R, Linares C, Garrabou J, Antunes A, Ballesteros E, Cebrián E, Díaz D, Ledoux JB (2015) Combining genetic and demographic data for the conservation of a Mediterranean marine habitat-forming species PLos One 10(3): e0119585 doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0119585
- Garrabou, J., Coma, R., Bally, M., Bensoussan, N., Chevaldonné, P., Cigliano, M., Diaz, D., Harmelin, J.G., Gambi, M.C., Kersting D. K., Lejeusne, C, Linares, C., Marschal, C, Pérez, T. Ribes, M., Romano J.C., Serrano E., Teixido N., Torrents, O., Zabala, M., Zuberer, F., Cerrano, C. (2009) Mass mortality in northwestern Mediterranean rocky benthic communities: effects of the 2003 heat wave. Global Change Biology 15:1090-1103
- Bally, M., Garrabou, J. (2007) Thermodependent bacterial pathogens and mass mortalities in temperate benthic communities: a new case of emerging disease linked to climate change. Global Change Biology 13: 2078-2088
- Garrabou, J., Ballesteros, E. & Zabala, M. (2002) Structure and dynamics of north-western Mediterranean rocky benthic communities along a depth gradient. Estuarine Coastal Shelf Science 55: 493-508.
- Twitter: @JGarrabou