Diego-Kurt Kersting has been the scientific coordinator at the Marine Reserve of Illes Columbretes, where he participates actively in most of the scientific projects that are undertaken. Previously, he worked on the development of bionomic cartography of the Natural Parc of Illes Cies (Galicia). Recently, he defended his doctoral thesis on Cladocora caespitosa coral populations at the Illes Columbretes. The thesis focused on understanding the biology and ecology of this species and on the main impacts on their populations.
“Ecology and conservation of the Mediterranean endemic coral Cladocora caespitosa”. 7th February 2014. Cum laude. PhD advisor: Cristina Linares (UB), Tutor: Mikel Zabala (UB).
- Casado C, Kersting DK, Cebrian E, Teixidó N, Garrabou J, Linares C (2014) Rapid recovery from injuries in the temperate long-lived coral Cladocora caespitosa. Marine Biodiversity. DOI 10.1007/s12526-014-0219-2
- Kersting DK, Teixidó N, Linares C (2014) Recruitment and mortality of the temperate coral Cladocora caespitosa: implications for the recovery of endangered populations. Coral Reefs. DOI 10.1007/s00338-014-1144-3
- Kersting DK, Ballesteros E, De Caralt S, Linares C (2014) Invasive macrophytes in a marine reserve (Columbretes Islands, NW Mediterranean): spread dynamics and interactions with the endemic scleractinian coral Cladocora caespitosa. Biological invasions DOI: 10.1007/s10530-013-0594-9
- Kersting DK, Bensoussan N, Linares C (2013) Long-term responses of the endemic reef-builder Cladocora caespitosa to Mediterranean warming. PLoS ONE 8(8): e70820. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0070820
- Kersting DK, Casado C, López-Legentil S, Linares C (2013) Unexpected divergent patterns in the sexual reproduction of the Mediterranean coral Cladocora caespitosa. Marine Ecology Progress Series 486:165-171
- Kersting, D.K., Linares, C. (2012) Cladocora caespitosa bioconstructions in the Columbretes Islands Marine Reserve (Spain, NW Mediterranean): distribution, size structure and growth. Marine Ecology 33: 427–436 doi: 10.1111/j.1439-0485.2011.00508.x